The Return of thisoldgeek

Gone for awhile!

Haven't posted since December, 2016. Wow!

It's not because I was ill, or idle. I was pretty busy. By a lucky twist of fate, I've mostly been posting on hackster.io, and also on thingiverse.com.

It all started with a tweet - about the last project posted in 2016, the DieselPunk Cellphone. The good folks at Make Magazine reached out to me. They liked the project and wanted to publish it!

I was stunned.

It made things easier for Make to publish if I did the write-up on hackster.io. So, I reposted my blog write-up, in a slightly different form, on hackster.io. My DieselPunk Cellphone project was featured in the April/May 2017 (#56) issue of Make.


After that, when I wanted to post a project, hackster.io was my go-to destination. It had a nice format to follow and it was easy to create a quality post. Plus, hackster had an interested audience of Makers.

After a couple of years of posting, though, something was missing. Hackster is great, gives you a template to create a quality, focused post. But, the template also restricts. Sometimes, I want to do a long-form post reaching outside of the boundaries of the hackster focus. I'd like to go into more detail, or describe things that DIDN'T work. 

I wanted to write more about what I'll call "The Maker's Journey" - a behind the scenes look at the making of a project: the wanderings, thought process, stumbling blocks, failures and successes that eventually get a project done. 

So, I decided to come back to this blog to do the long-form stuff, and stuff that isn't a fit for hackster. I'll still post on hackster. But the stuff featured here will have more detail, for the curious. 

Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts